AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
The AIT Austrian Institute of Technology is Austria’s largest non-university research institute. With its eight Centers, AIT regards itself as a highly specialised research and development partner for industry.
AIT provides research and technological development to realize basic innovations for the next generation of infrastructure related technologies in the fields of Energy, Mobility Systems, Low-Emission Transport, Health & Bioresources, Digital Safety & Security, Vision, Automation & Control and Technology Experience. These technological research areas are supplemented by the competence in the area of Innovation Systems & Policy.
The AIT has about 1.300 employees - mostly based at the main facilities Vienna Giefinggasse, Seibersdorf, Wiener Neustadt, Ranshofen and Graz – working on the development of the tools, technologies and solutions for Austrian industries that are of utmost relevance for the future. All these efforts comply with our motto "Tomorrow Today".
The Republic of Austria (through the Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology) has a share of 50.46%, while the Federation of Austrian Industries owns 49.54% of the AIT Austrian Institute of Technology.
Role and Key Contribution
AIT is strategically positioned as a key player in the Austrian and European innovation system by performing applied research for market exploitation of innovative solutions. AIT covers the entire spectrum from taking up emerging technologies, proof of concepts, applied research up to demonstrators and prototyping. This allows us to bridge basic research and industrial pick up. With respect to ECSEL-Austria and electronic systems in Austria, this includes
- Highly automated and autonomous systems (transport, construction, robotics, industrial automation)
- Safety, security and reliability of complex critical systems, large-scale networked systems and communication systems
- Verification and validation of critical systems and devices
- Embedded Vision, surveillance and high-performance vision
- New sensor technologies
- Smart and assistive health solutions
- Improvement of transport infrastructure (safety and cost-efficiency in context of operation and maintenance)
- optimisation of co-modal transport systems
- Sustainable smart energy systems and services (smart grids, smart cities and buildings)
AIT Austrian Institute of Technology
|1210 Vienna, Austria|